Sunday 16 September 2012

Dan Mountford



This is a photograph by the English Graphic Design student Dan Mountford. He is a twenty one year old student studying in Brighton, Dan currently works in photography, illustration, editorial and motion design. This piece he has done was photographed with a double exposure technique that he uses a lot in his work. This photograph was presented in an exhibition amongst many others that Dan Mountford has produced. I have chosen to analyse this Dan Mountford's work because his technique of double exposure interests me and I am very eager to try it out myself. I admire the way his work appears to have stories and meanings behind them.

I have researched into this image and also why Dan Mountford uses this technique which he calls 'The world inside of us'. He describes it as a visual journey through our minds by calm and tidy means which the reality of everyday life does not show. He isolates parts of an image with no assistance at all from photoshop. I would class his work as a Documentary/Portrait theme from the way he captures clear portraits of people plus the way he involves images that have meanings to them kind of like he is documenting something about that person. The title of the work relates one hundred percent to work itself, from the photograph you can see 'the world inside of her' which is the impression he wanted to portray.

This piece is a photograph captured with double exposure, he has used no photoshop at all or any type of editing techniques. He isolates parts of the image successfully which makes them captivating and thoughtful. He used just black and grey in his photographs which are boring colours but the photographs are boring in no way what so ever. The black and grey theme give the image a mysterious look and a more serious and emotional feel. I think the colours play a big part in influencing the audience as it makes you think about what the image is trying to say and what the meaning behind it is. 

I chose to look at this image because from the first glance I took at it, it left me with a lot of questions in my head about what story he was telling behind this photograph. I admire the documentary theme a lot and also I admire Portrait photography. I like the way the girls face is filled with that seaside theme, she could be reminiscing about the place in the background as she is slightly smiling. This work has inspired me to experiment with the double exposure technique and also involve a meaning behind my photographs so that the audience have something to think about.



5 comments:

  1. i loved your analysis i'm doing dan for my a-level photography and he's amazing such an inspirational man, plus its so much fun trying to imitate his images :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is literally no info on Dan is there anywhere you guys know where i can get some info on his back ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is literally no info on Dan is there anywhere you guys know where i can get some info on his back ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Currently using Dan as my choosen Photographer for 'in-camera' techniques and his use of double exposure.(Studing my diploma in photography)

    ReplyDelete